Saturday, December 29, 2012

2012 in Review

This time of year always breeds best-of lists, worst-of lists, and random reflections. I'm not enough of an expert on any one thing to write such a list with any real authority, but random reflections are something I think I can handle.

So, in no particular order, here are 12 things that I thought were terrific in 2012. Some are personal, some are news, and some are just nifty. If you don't think so, make your own damn list!

1: The Curiosity Rover Landing on Mars
What a nail-biter! Watching the live stream of the scientists involved in this Mars mission during its final descent made me glad to be a human being living during the 21st century.


2: Safety Not Guaranteed 
Don't tell me you haven't seen this gem of a time travel movie! It's quirky in the best way possible, funny, and romantic. A great mix, and one of the best films of 2012 in my opinion.

3: The Taming of Vera Cat
This time last year new kitten Vera was a scared and scrawny kitten. Now? Rather the opposite. 

4: Betrayal of the Planet of the Apes and Exile on the Planet of the Apes Released as Trades
I'm really proud of the work Gabriel and I did on these books and I'm thrilled that we were able to partner with Marc Laming for Exile. BOOM! did a beautiful job turning the issues into books, too.

5: New Tattoo
Okay, so a couple of the things that made this list are a bit self-serving. Still, I'm really happy with this.

6: The Higgs (Almost) Announcement
How amazing is this? Humanity's understanding of the universe took a giant leap forward because of a huge, incredibly accurate machine and the work of scientists from all over the world. 

7: Good News for Tigers
Tiger numbers increased in key parts of Thailand, India, and Russia thanks to anti-poaching enforcement, new protected areas, and stronger governmental involvement. A step in the right direction!

8: My 14th Anniversary
Not to mention 20th as a couple! I'm lucky enough to both live and work with my partner. Not a bad setup by any stretch. 

9: Volunteering and Joining the Board at Kitty Bungalow Charm School for Wayward Cats
After our success with Vera I wanted to help other abandoned cats. Happily, I found Kitty Bungalow. When they asked me to join the board I was immensely honored. I can't wait to see KB grow in 2013!

10: Station to Station Premiering in Dark Horse Presents
This is a story that Gabriel and I had wanted to do for years now. We're thrilled that it's found a home!

11: Two Tiny Trips to Palm Springs
Sadly, we didn't get to do much traveling this year (except to cons) but we did make it to Palms Springs  twice for a day or two. Highlights: a crazy ariel tram, mid-century architecture, and a dog in sunglasses. 

12: Ten Billion Earths
Or thereabouts. That's how many earth-like worlds might exist in our galaxy, based on current theories. Can finding some sign that we're not alone be far behind? I can't think of anything more exciting. 

And now... Onward to 2013! Happy New Year!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...