Thursday, March 18, 2010

Emerald City Comic Con, the Wrap-Up


After experiencing my very first Emerald City Comic Con I have only one thing to say: fantastic!

Truly, this is the way a con should be. And I'm not just saying that because we sold out of our graphic novel Heathentown. I'm saying it because ECCC is all about the comics. There were tons of interesting creators to meet, interesting fans to talk to, and nice people in cool hats with great hair. Pacific Northwest Comics Community, I have to admit to being a little bedazzled. I know my name was spelled wrong on the banner attached to our table, but everyone was so sweet about everything I couldn't hold a grudge.

Gabriel was kept very busy signing his page in Monsters and Dames, the ECCC limited edition art book which was being sold to benefit a children's hospital. He also did a ton of sketches. I love this one in particular:
It was great to spend time with some of the creators from Periscope Studios in Portland, including Jeff Parker, Colleen Coover, Paul Tobin, and Jeremy Barlow. I'm still plowing my way through all the books we bought in Seattle, but allow me to recommend the trade of Mysterius the Unfathomable written by Jeff with art by Tom Fowler. You won't be disappointed!

I was also amazed to meet several people who admit to reading this very blog! Sure, I love writing it, but what a thrill to know that someone is actually reading the darn thing. So a big thank you to everyone out there who does, especially Sigrid Ellis, a fellow blogger over at Fantastic Fangirls who was the first person at the show to mention it to me and an all around nice person.

We managed to see a little of Seattle too, including an expensive dip into Elliot Bay Books, my favorite North American book shop, and a tour of the famous underground city. Here's a view of one of those strange glass sections of sidewalk from below.




I can't even complain about our hotel. I mean, look at this view!

In short, we had a great time and we're already planning our next trip to the Emerald City in 2011 when the show is rumored to be three days long. Hear that, ECCC? You have a whole year to learn how to spell my name!


7 comments:

  1. I passed on a link to this post to my friend Connie (who you sent the book to!). I know she will like to read about this.

    OH and is Mysterious good, or bloodthirsty and creepy? I never got on with the ghastly watchmen........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you two had a good time. Now to see if the art book you mentioned. Had I paid more attention, I'd have asked one of the friends going if they'd pick it up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you sold out Heathentown! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marjorie! Mysterious is kind of creepy, but in a humorous way. There is a bit of gore, but mostly it isn't from humans. It isn't at all like The Watchmen... No shootings of innocent pregnant women, for one thing!

    Thank you Fred! The lines to buy that Monsters and Dames book were impressive. I think Gabriel signed about 600 of the 850 produced, lol! I wonder if you can still get it somewhere? This is the second year they did one, and they were pretty cool.

    Thanks Sigrid! This is the first Con that ever happened at. I'm hoping it will be a trend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you had a great trip and lots of opportunities to brush shoulders with your fans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It made me feel great to read this post about what a good time you had :) I haven't done underground Seattle yet. I keep hearing about it. Congratulations and I'm glad everything went so well (except for your name!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...