Saturday, November 28, 2009

Live! At El Rey Theater

The last several months have been very good for seeing bands here in SoCal! Earlier in the month we saw the Pixies at the Hollywood Palladium, and that inspired a blog post about that wonderful dance hall, one of my very favorites.

This time we saw the Fiery Furnaces at El Rey Theater, my absolute favorite place to see music. As a hight-challenged American, actually being able to see and not just hear bands is


Finally, in 1994, it became the El Rey that I know and love today. We've been there many times, seeing the White Stripes, Aimee Mann, the Walkmen, and lots of others. This time we not only arrived in time to see the opening acts, we actually liked them! Dent May went first, with his "magnificent ukulele", followed by Cryptacize, a band I had never heard of before which turned out to sing fabulously idiosyncratic yet endearing melodies. Of course the Fiery Furnaces did a fantastic job. Go see them if you get the chance!

5 comments:

  1. That theatre is gorgeous. We have so little living architectural history here. Older buildings are either torn down or mummified into museums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's usually the case in L. A. too, but happily a couple of the old theaters have been spared. I'm so happy when I get to see something in one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love the theatre! I havent been to a rock band concert for a while! This has definitely inspired me to go search for some upcoming concerts to attend!

    http://glitzer.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful theater! I love SoCal and Aimee Mann :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw a picture of the theater from 1937, the marquee looks just the same!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...